In the Match 9 of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023, India won against Afghanistan by 8 wickets which is played at Arun Jaitley Stadium, Delhi. Afghanistan won the toss and elected to bat first. Afghanistan scored 272/8 in its allotted 50 overs. Afghanistan captain Hashmatullah Shahidi scored the highest runs (80 runs off 80 balls) along with Azmatullah Omarzai (62 runs from 69 balls).
These two batsmen partnership of 121 runs from 128 balls helped Afghanistan score a decent total of 272 runs. Indian bowlers Jasprit Bumrah (4/39), Hardik Pandya (2/43) contained Afghanistan’s batsmen from scoring freely.
Chasing a total of 273, India reached the target in just 35 overs by losing only 2 wickets. Opener as well as Indian Captain Rohit Sharma led his side to a comfortable win over Afghanistan by scoring 131 runs off just 84 balls in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023. His partnership with Ishan Kishan made India win comfortable. Virat Kohli guided the winning stream with his knock of 55 runs from 56 balls. Rohit Sharma was declared as “PLAYER OF THE MATCH”.
Rashid was the only Afghanistan bowler to take 2 wickets from their bowling squad. With this win India joined New Zealand and Pakistan as teams to start 2 from 2 at the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 tournament.
India stands with 4 points in 2 matches in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 Points table.
Here is all the records Rohit Sharma broke during astonishing World Cup innings.
- Rohit Sharma smashed the fastest century by an Indian player at a Cricket World Cup, breaking the 40 year old record set by the legendary Kapil Dev 40 years ago. Kapil Dev reached his hundred in 72 balls against Zimbabwe at the Nevill Ground in Tunbridge Wells, England.
- Rohit surpassed compatriot Sachin Tendulkar with 7 Cricket World Cup centuries. Rohit has achieved the record in just 19 innings and across in only three World Cup campaigns, in comparison to Tendulkar’s 44 innings.
- Rohit boasts a superior average of 65.23 which is also the highest among players to reach four figures across the tournaments.
- Rohit joined a fellow tearaway opener in David Warner as the joint-fastest batters to reach 1000 Cricket World Cup runs, doing so in just 19 innings.
- Rohit is the only Cricket World Cup 2023 captain to score a century to this point of the tournament.
- Making his 31st ODI hundred, Rohit overtook Ricky Ponting in third place in the total ODI century list.
- The 5 sixes Rohit struck in Delhi moved him to 556 sixes across the 3 formats of international cricket, passing the previous record-holder in the category, Chris Gayle (West Indies).
Meanwhile Kohli is also on the top of two other elite lists.
- He overtook the Master Blaster, Sachin Tendulker in the list of most runs scored in successful run-chases in ODIs
- Kohli’s 55-run knock has boosted him to the top spot in the list of most runs scored in ODI and T20 World Cups.